Sew is Life is written by E. It is a little space of blogging bliss inspired by art, design, craft, fashion, beauty and wellness. Based in Perth, Western Australia. Read about the daily ramblings of me being a mother of three and wife to an amazing creative man. The second me makes fresh skincare at SELF Organics. These are my stories sewn together with love.
This is it! The day has finally come where I launch my own skincare range online. It is very surreal, because a lot has happened since the idea was first planted. SELF Organics has been 2 years in the making. With the arrival of Leo and Luna into our lives, things have been turn busy tenfold. Then with 2012 venture of running a newsagency with my family SELF Organics was pushed to the back of my mind. However, it was never forgotten…
All our products are packaged using eco-friendly materials
It has been a dream to create organic skincare for others who feel passionate about fresh, good-for-you ingredients. The initially plan was to make it for my babies and for my Mother, who have sensitive skin. And then my love of making skincare grew and grew! My love of DIY, beauty and well being all came together in one moment and with the encouragement of my Hubz and children, I decided to listen to my heart and GO FOR IT!
You can visit the online store here: http://selforganics.com
And SELF Organics is now on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SELForganics
Come over and take a look at the new site (share it with friends and family) and pick up some goodies for yourself or gifts for Mother’s Day.
Freshly curing ‘Lavender Fields’ soap, available for pre-order. Ready 30th April. Smells a little like Provence..
All the products are made with a minimum of 95% organic ingredients, as certified by the ACO http://www.aco.net.au/ .However the next step is to apply for the certification to obtain the special ‘bud’ logo for the products themselves.
The range is vegan friendly (unless otherwise stated) and not tested on animals. They do not contain parabens, chemical sulfates, parabens, petrolatum, dyes, phthalates or artifical fragrances.
To all my lovely readers, I will still be blogging at ‘Sew is life’ about my lively adventures..but you can also follow SELF Organic on Twitter (@selforganics) and on the Facebook page to see what I’m up to.
Please help me to share and tweet about the new online store! I’m counting on you social media hehe…
Thank you from the bottom of my organic heart :)
You may have noticed the sudden influx of healthy food images taken by my Instagram and shared on my Tumblr. I have decided to go crazy with my diet and start eating as many raw foods as possible. That means more green smoothies, salads and fruits. This is one part of my master plan to get my body and mind ready for the crazy Summer season. If I can train my body and mind to be strong now, taking on the Christmas/New Year temptations will be a cinch!
Photos are a great motivational tool to help you to stay on track to stick to your health goals!
So the first part of the master ‘Summer Body’ Challenge is to eat healthy and exercise, but how about having healthy, glowing skin? Exercise and diet play a big part in achieving that overall natural illumination. But what else could you do?
1. Dry brush your skin - Get a natural bristled brush with soft-medium bristles and gently brush the surface of your skin, stroking the brush towards the direction of your heart. E.g. brush from your feet upwards to your thigh. Brush from your shoulders down to your hands. Dry brushing is a great way of improving the blood circulation and getting rid of dead skin cells. And hopefully it will reduce that ‘cottage cheese’ look to your thighs, cellulite be gone!!
2. Drink more water and herbal teas - Hydration is essential to maintaining moisturised skin, it helps to reduce the appearance of fatigue and to help smoothe out fine lines. Herbal teas are a great booster filled with antioxidants to help improve and clear the skin.
3. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! - Use a natural or organic skin cream to moisturise the skin after a shower. This is the best time for the skin to absorb all the goodness from the cream ,leaving your skin hydrated.
4. After waxing care - It is time to flaunt those sexy legs with a pretty dress or skirt and show off your arms with those sleeveless tops, displaying your cleanly shaven pits! But what about those unsightly ingrown hairs? Use a lotion to smooth out those bumps and blemishes to get flawless skin in all areas!
5. Stay out of the sun - The skin number one worst enemy would be UV rays. So make sure all your daily moisturisers have SPF protection. Wear a wide-brimmed hat or even use a parsol (umbrella) to avoid sun-damaged skin, where it can result in fine lines, sun spots, pigmentation, moles and worse…skin cancer.
6. Feed your skin with vitamins - Use topical creams that contains Vitamin C and E. Vitamin C is vital in the production of collagen, which helps your skin stay supple and taut. Vitamin E helps to protect the skin against free-radicals and it is a powerful antioxidant that can also help fight against UV rays.
7. Use a fake-tan - If a ‘bronzed goddess’ look is more your style, use a fake-tan rather than basking in the sun. Make sure you exfoliate your skin with a scrub or dry brush before applying to get that even bronze.
8. Sweat Baby Sweat - As I said before, exercise is key to having that beautiful skin. Sweating is one of the best ways to get rid of all those toxins from within the body and cleanse the pores! The more you sweat, the more shinier your complexion becomes because of the natural oils that help to nourish the skin are released. Just make sure you wash off that sweat…or instead of beautiful skin you will get pesky pimples!
Have you tried any of the tips above? What other ways do you take care of your skin?
Have a great week lovelies!!
One of the things we women use everyday and cannot go without is our skincare. It is astonishing, when you add it all up your skincare purchases for the year! You may just faint at the sight of the bill. And men often wonder why we women are less financially stable…but admire our beauty at the same time!
Many of us will convince ourselves ‘it is my skin and I don’t care how much I spend on it’. And yes, this may be true, because you want to look after your skin until you are old and grey but do you want to slow down your mortgage repayments just because of it? Have you ever skipped a meal just because you didn’t want to spend money on eating and instead saved the money to buy a prestigious face cream or new pair of heels?
The starvation stops here! Today I am going to share a simple recipe for a moisturiser that you can use during the night. Night creams work their magic best because it is when your body is resting and all the new, yummy skin cells are having a great ol time rejuvenating and producing more new skin cells.
The Immortelle flower
One of the key ingredients I used for this cream is the ‘Immortelle’ essential oil, or also known as ‘Everlasting’. It is known to be the ‘Fountain of Youth’ of the Mediterrean. The Immortelle flower, from which the oil is extracted, retains its shape even after it has been picked. It is used for anti-inflammatory, analgesic and regenerative properties which makes it perfect for mature-age skin.
Don’t be shocked to find that a 30ml bottle of Immortelle will cost you around $70+. You only need 12 drops for this recipe. So you should be able to make plenty of skin cream with 30ml.
Hint: make it in small quantities, so you can use a fresh batch each time.
So go ahead and give it a go and revel the glory that you made your very own skin cream!! Saving you heaps of money and making you look and feel GOOD :)
Have you heard of the benefits of the Immortelle essential oil? Have you tried it before in your skincare?
If you wish to use my skin care recipe please click below:
Winter…I love you but you aren’t doing my skin any favours! You would think a season with a lot of rain would actually be good for the skin but not really, you will be surprised that the humidity in Summer does more good for your skin.
These days, I wake up with cracked lips and I can’t seem to stop my horrible habit of biting the little bits of skin off (ewww I know!). Biting your lips and licking them actually makes them worse, more painful and drier!
If you suffer like me, try the Rasasara organic lip balm with rose maroc and sandalwood essential oils which will restore moisture:
The knuckles on my hand are itching like crazy because of the lack of hydration. There is also the dreaded ‘snake skin’-like legs that are pale, white and stay hidden away under trackies most of the chilly season.
Keep dryness away with Sanctum Hand and Nail Repair and Absolutely Gorgeous Body Custard (doesn’t that sound delish?)
And my face is lack lustre (could also be due to the minimum hours of sleep I get from feeding Luna at night). No wonder I haven’t stepped out of the house recently and no photos!
Rejuvenate that ‘haggered’ look with La Mav Wrinkle-Defense and Skin-Brightening Day Fluid
It is the love of my heater that is one of the main culprits for my desert-like skin. And I also realise during the colder months, I tend to drink less water than I should. Which is a BIG NO-NO, all the above factors are actually telling me I am dehydrated. So I have to continue with my 8 glasses of water, and I like my water warm or room temperature with a squeeze of lemon juice (another health tip to kick start the body!).
All the above products are available for purchase through:
How do you stay hydrated and moisturised during Winter?
Stay toasty and remember to drink your H2O!